CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 15, 2008

High Speed Chase

How many people have been in a high speed chase??? I can now say that we have (not so sure this is something that we want to confess to or brag about). Here's what happened.

Last night we were driving home from the State Fair on the freeway (post and pictures to come later). We were in the middle lane and out of no where we hear this loud "bang" as this white car crashes into the side of us knocking us into the right lane. He slowed down for a split second (as we realized what had happened) and then took off. Thad started yelling "That guy just side-swiped us! Call the police, he's trying to run." So I grabbed my cell phone and called the police. Thad was really mad and his adrenaline kicked in. So while I'm on the phone, Thad starts chasing this guy down the freeway doing 110 mph - I thought we were going to die!!!!! The guy was driving like a complete maniac - driving onto the shoulder of the road to pass cars and weaving in and out of traffic and Thad followed right behind him (I still can't believe that we're alive and can't believe that Thad chased him down - looking back I'm not so sure it was the most intelligent decision)! He got off at an exit and we finally caught up to him so I was able to give the police the license plate number. The police told us not to follow him because they didn't want anything to happen - like him pulling a gun on us or something. They said that since we were able to get the license plate number, they'd send an officer out to do a report. So we headed home to wait for the police.

As soon as we arrived we jumped out to see what kind of damage had been done to our vehicle. As we were chasing this guy we were able to see the damage to his car - he had hit us pretty hard and the entire right side of his car was completely munched. We thought for sure our car had to be in pretty bad shape as well. We were surprised to find that our vehicle was fine. It has some minor scuff marks, but no dents or scrapes. When the officer arrived, he asked us if we wanted to file a report. We decided to simply because of the principle - we couldn't believe he had tried to run. The officer filled out his report and said he was going to track the guy down.

This afternoon I received a phone call from the officer. He told me that he found the guy last night. He was completely plastered. The officer told me that after seeing his car and seeing the kind of condition this guy was in he couldn't believe that we walked away with such minor, minor damage. Come to find out, the license plate was a fake, he just bought this car last week, and he doesn't have insurance. The officer wrote him up for several violations, plus charged him with a misdemeanor.

We realize that this accident could have been much, much worse. We feel very blessed that we were uninjured and that there is basically no damage to our vehicle. We know that Heavenly Father is watching out for us and definitely kept us safe last night.

7 comments:

joanna said...

WOW! I'm so glad you guys are OK! So many people are badly injured or killed because of drunk drivers. That's also amazing that your car didn't have as much damage as it seemed. You are very blessed.

By the way, we need to go to lunch soon, because I am really craving the Bajio Grill.

The Gracie Jones blog said...

Holy smokes! I can't believe that! I am glad that you guys are still alive...that is scary to think people like him are driving around. It definitely could have been much worse! I'm glad it wasn't!

Grandma KT said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WERE GOING 110 MPH WITH YOUR FAMILY IN THE CAR!!! I'm glad they got the DUI case, he could have killed you. Your family definitely had Him watching out for you. On the lighter side, did Mario Karts have something to do with it?

Scottypancakes said...

A car chase! I know it could have been very bad, but knowing that you're all okay I've got to say that that's awesome. You know, something to brag about to the grandkids when you're older. :)

Of course, if I had been there I probably would have freaked out, but you guys were on the ball enough to get the license plate and give it to the police. Otherwise this guy may have gotten away with it. People like this should never be allowed behind the wheel.

GaiaGirl said...

yeah, this is something you need to keep from Ashley when she's of driving age. tell her about it when she's around 40 years old.

i'm glad you were so protected!

Taralyn said...

wow! that's so crazy. i'm so glad that everything is ok, and that your car didn't have much done to it since he doesn't have insurance. leave it to thad :)

buffyvandabailey said...

Aaaaah!!! So was the freeway completely desolate? I cannot imagine being able to go that fast on the freeway in Indy.

Glad you're okay. I think I would have been crying.